Summer Plans- Bayern Munich are still Considering a move for Hudson-Odoi

Chelsea star Callum Hudson-Odoi still in Bayern Munich's summer transfer plans despite Achilles injury

0
Summer plans- Bayern Munich are still considering a move for Hudson-Odoi ( PA )
Summer plans- Bayern Munich are still considering a move for Hudson-Odoi ( PA )

Bayern Munich hasn’t ruled out making another attempt to sign Callum Hudson-Odoi this summer despite the Chelsea winger facing a long spell out with an Achilles injury.

Hudson-Odoi ruptured his Achilles tendon during the game against Burnley on Monday night and flew to Barcelona the next day to have surgery.

The 18-year-old is unlikely to be fit in time for the start of next season. On average, it can take six months to recover.

Bayern had four bids for the England international rejected by Chelsea in January, the last of which was worth £35m. They were expected to make another attempt when the window re-opens before Hudson-Odoi’s injury came to light.

The president of Bayern, Uli Hoeness, has confirmed those plans haven’t changed as yet. He said: “(Chairman) Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and (sporting director) Hasan Salihamidzic have said that he is an interesting player.

“I think we keep thinking about it. But he’s just (been) on the operating table. Therefore it makes no sense to comment on this.”

Hudson-Odoi has just over one year left on his current contract and as revealed by Standard Sport last month, the club plan to offer him an extension worth £100,000-a-week to convince him to stay on.

Significantly, the teenager’s appearance against Burnley was his fourth successive start in the Premier League. The lack of regular game time is believed to be the main reason why he didn’t agree to offers Chelsea made last summer and in January – the latter would have taken his salary to £85,000-a-week.

With Eden Hazard expected to leave for Real Madrid, it is understood Chelsea are going to keep Hudson-Odoi regardless and run the risk of him leaving for a nominal compensation figure in 2020.

The club issued a statement on Hudson-Odoi’s injury on Wednesday evening, saying: “Callum successfully underwent surgery on his ruptured Achilles tendon last night (Tuesday). 

“He will miss the rest of this campaign and will spend the summer undergoing rehabilitation in order to resume full training as soon as possible.”

Hudson-Odoi added: “I’m doing better and I’m feeling better. It’s road to recovery now.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here